Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pursuit of Happiness - Part 7


I think it feels pretty good to achieve something.
That feeling that you have completed ‘it’.
Or conquered ‘it’.
Or even done ‘it’ against a lot of odds...

Achievement is an ingredient in the happiness recipe.

This time last year I was training hard for my very first cycling road race. Everything was new for me.
The clothes, the time needed, the feeling of zipping around most days on 2 wheels.
I remember the lead up well because it had some
challenges to it that I didn’t plan for. From weather issues slowing me down to injury, it was certainly a learning
experience!

On race day it was all on…
I started a little slow, wondering just how to pace
myself. Eventually I get into a group and a rhythm and never looked back.

I finished that race not first in my age group or anything super amazing like that...but I did finish.
I had achieved something.
Whether that achievement was that special to anyone else didn’t matter that much.
I knew I had done it.

For weeks afterwards, whenever I went past where the race finished, I couldn’t help but smile.
When ever I thought about, I smiled.
Even today, nearly a year on, I can still smile about it.

Achievement will equal some happiness for you.

So here is an idea…
If you don’t have a goal that will be a slight challenge, something new that could stretch you...why not ask God for an idea on what it could be?

That was last year...this year I have some new goals so I can achieve some new things...so I can get a new smile on my face.

Something to think about…

No comments: