Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Am I at the centre?

I have been thinking today this one thing...
Am I at the centre of God's will, His plan right now for my life?

At the same time I felt drawn to consider what my measurements are? To consider also just who am I am comparing my journey and current station with?
Wondering what is really happening in my heart and what is my conscience that God has given and ordained, saying to me?

I am a pastor as my 'job'. It is an amazing opportunity and something I dreamed of for a long time before it came to be.
At the same time I have spent too many moments questioning whether it is 'working', am I doing it 'right', am I at centre of God's will for my life and 'ministry'?
Those questions came thick and fast when I am not being as successful as I hoped and expected.
You see, you and I in our western faith circle equate obvious success and blessing with being right with God. If we are doing well it is all because we are right with God, being lead well by His Spirit.

As I pondered this today again, I couldn't help but think of the extremes of this thinking...
On one hand I see leaders like me but far more successful and influential. They have Churches that don't seem to stop growing each week. They are blessed with the best of many things.
On the other I see all around the world others being tortured and even murdered for their faith in Christ.
To which you have to ask, "who is at the centre of God's will?"
And if you are honest and basing it on His Word and His will, His historic model and way of doing things...you will probably conclude both are at the centre?

The Bible narrative is amazing and diverse, even to what being in the centre of God's will actually looks like...
There were Prophets who knew God well, yet had to live in very trying times.
There were others who went through dramatic seasons of high and lows, where ministry moments were spectacular, but then faced very dark nights of the soul following.
Others waited decades to see what God had promised.
Others never saw everything God revealed would happen.
If you want to read with me where I am coming from, take some time to check our these passages from Hebrews.

My only suggestion for you and me is too simple for many!
They want a prophet to tell them. Or a pastor.
They want their circumstances to indicate their being right in God.
Others want experiences in the Spirit to indicate the same.
All of those are fine, but are not all together accurate in the sense of the God's big picture.

I have learned that you have to be honest with yourself and God...
There is no other way!
Through prayer and petition.
Through service.
Through seeking Him on your own and with a faith family.
Through genuine care of others.
That is the path the centre.

When you know, you will know a true measure of peace.
There is no more questioning at a level that robs you of His peace because you are being blown backwards and forwards. Comparison to others faith journey should either encourage you or cause you to have compassion, not send into an emotional tail spin.

Today may this help you if you are wrestling with where you are at...
May God lead you and bring you comfort whatever the place you face.
Keep looking to Jesus and you will always be at the centre of all God has for you.
His face is shining on you no matter what my friend!

Something to think about...


No comments: