Wednesday, May 15, 2019

I got wronged...now what?

My family and I recently treated ourselves to some takeaway burgers and fries from a major New Zealand franchise chain with a more premium market approach.
In fact for the last 10 years of living in Taupo they have been our burger of choice.

To save standing around after ordering in-store I used their online system.
Paid. Then travelled a reasonable distance there and back home.
It was only when I came home I discovered the order had a small mistake. Something of lesser value replaced something I ordered. A bit disappointing, but not enough to be incensed about. The earth was still going to spin on its axis and the sun was still going to come up the next day.

Even though I knew they were busy I thought a simple to call the manager was in order, only to let them know about the issue so they could avoid it in the future maybe? Honestly I wasn't going for free stuff to alleviate my potential "pain, suffering and offence".
As expected I got an answerphone, so preceded to leave a simple message about the fault.

Sometime later after not receiving a reply I emailed their head office just to let them know.
They said they would followup.
Another few weeks past and I haven't heard anything, so send another message to head office.
You are smart, you already know where this is going! It was just a cycle of silly...

2 months later I get a call from a 'manager'.
He seems real genuine and wants to make things right by sending me some meal vouchers.
I thank him profusely and reaffirm I was not gunning for that as the response but certainly appreciated the gesture.

With excitement I let my family know we should be having something nice for dinner this week.
The vouchers would be appreciated by us all.
Yesterday they arrive in the mail. And when I opened it, salivating as I pondered my evenings burger choice, I discovered it was vouchers for some fries.
2 months of messages, emails and calls for some fries.

Honestly I am laughing.

As I have had 24 hours to think on this little journey, I have come to realise we face moments like this throughout our live. And when we do, we face response choices.
Do I defend my honour? Or should I just ignore it and move on?
Should I exact a price from those who have wronged me? Wouldn't that be right to teach them a lesson?

As a Christian this is a palpable dilemma for me.
I think I oscillate between two schools of thought that I will try and summarise from scriptures that we are taught regularly.

The Lord will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the Lord your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom. Deuteronomy 28:13 niv

Based on this I should defend my honour and act like someone who is not a tail.
My life is not a butt end, but my position is the top end.
I am child of the King so I am someone and deserve to be treated with respect.

...Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? 1 Corinthians 6:7 niv

Jesus also amazingly taught that we should turn the other cheek.
That being wronged and responding with grace undeserved is His way of doing things.

I think I am looking to encourage you to consider this with me...
When we are wronged to first prayerfully consider your approach.
Should I defend myself or relent?
Should I in whatever case, right a perception of being wronged or let it slide?
We should ask the Holy Spirit to guide our conscience and the resulting response.

As for me and my house...I am looking forward to some fries.
Time to move on and live my life!

Something to think about...


No comments: