Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Learn the Language

I had the biggest honour over the previous weekend as part of Easterfest, to be part of a Powhiri.
But I was shocked to learn in the lead up to it, that not only was I being asked to speak at it, I was being asked to speak part of it in language I didn't know...
So with only 2 days to go, I began to learn some of the Maori Language or Te Reo as they call it, to prepare.
That involved someone speaking the phrases into my phone as I recorded it. It involved me having it written down. And then it was up to me to simply go over it again and again. To immerse myself as much as I could - to learn the language.

Something about that experience and brief story might help you today navigating prayer and how to talk the language that Christians think they should have?
I still remember wrestling with what words were right for a believer when I first began my journey of faith.
Wondering how I should pray, the language to use?
How to explain my faith to others?

Something I discovered early on is that the Bible is the ultimate language class!
It actually teaches you the language of the Kingdom.
Yes we have our English variations and our cultural quirks, but essentially it shows through how Jesus spoke to God and others, others interactions with God, some keys to the language.

If you are wondering what language to use, have a look first at Jesus life in the Gospels and carry on from there.
The example I started with applies as well.
Take the time to listen to others speaking the language.
Begin by copying it for yourself.
Through repetition and time it will become yours, it will become natural and it will become supernatural.

Something to think about...

No comments: