Wednesday, January 30, 2019

The Church is Terrible!

I have to admit that when someone critiques my Church or the Church in general I have to be very careful.
There is a part of me that gets defensive.
It is easy to want to bite back to some claims levelled at us in general.

This happened again to me very recently where someone was pointing out their case for where 'the Church' has failed.
I prayed under my breath, did my best to hold my nerve, and spoke at the same time as I was trying to learn.
I am first to admit the Church, even my Church has areas where we are weak and even fail.
But I am also adamant that the Church, and my Church, have done more good than bad over a lifetime.

I was shocked to see a conference being promoted today on how to be a bad Christian, as though it was the new revelation on how to be one?
The speaker list includes people burned by their christian experiences, others are affirmed atheists, another lives in a way that is opposite to how scripture teaches us - and they are speaking on the relevance of using scripture...
This is not going to fix the issues we have!
But our issues aren't as big as the God we serve and what good He has done in and through His people for generations.

We are allowed ask hard questions of ourselves.
Others are allowed to do the same.
Maybe we need to apply grace and truth to that process even more purposefully.

Here's a couple of thoughts/points to ponder...

"Put a bunch of sinners saved by grace together and you don't instantly get perfection"
You naturally get the opposite.

Churches generally are groups of people at different stages and places in their journey, mixed with others wrestling with it or even new to it.
Throw a sex addict into this place with a puritan and see what happens.
Throw a thief in this place...
Throw a liar, a racist, a cheat, a blasphemer...as well into the mix.
After many decades of being part of God's amazing Church I love the fact I have seen amazing transformations, lasting transformers happen with Christ and His Church.
We are messy yes - but we are also always believing for something supernatural to change our natural.

"When people meet and Jesus is not the centre, you get drama, you potentially even get abuse"

I have seen renewal and restorations of relationships that were an utter disaster.
And I have seen people accuse each other of satan worship and worse if there is anything worse.
I have seen powerful moments of ministry where someone is healed or changed before our eyes.
And I have seen others curse each other in the middle of a worship time.
Love one, loathe the other with a passion.
A common denominator for me is the presence of or absence of Jesus being the centre, as to the outcome.

2 Corinthians 3:17-18 says something about this that is pretty key for me personally and the Church...
17Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

There is a process we are part of that God is orchestrating.
He is transforming us step by step into a glorious bride for Him to come and collect one day soon.
Let's let Him do that work...

Romans 12:2 tells us that God is transforming our minds, our thinking.
Let's let Him continue that work...

Matthew 5:48 shares Gods ultimate goal for you and the Church...perfection.
Let's let Him achieve that goal...

Philippians 3:12-14 explains the concept of not being perfect yet, but doing all we can with Jesus as the centre to give us the best shot of making it...

I love the Church and all its flaws because of the flawed people involved.
I want it and us to alway strive to be better.
I am believing for the Church to continue to grow up, reach out and thrive.
And I am committed to only having Jesus at the centre!

Something to think about...


No comments: