Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Once upon a time I noticed a girl at Church

Once upon a time I noticed a girl at Church...
I had an idea that I would like to be with her and highly likely to marry her.

I schemed, planned and put in a lot of effort to win her as my bride.
I prayed a lot and talked to a few key leaders about it before setting course on winning her heart.

Step one was to infamously get a friend from work to invite her to our end of year Christmas function. My cunning plan was once she was there, I would eventually pluck up the courage to ask her to dance, she would fall in love with me, and the rest would be history.
Unfortunately my plan was as lame as when this is portrayed in the movies. When I finally asked her to dance she said no. And to make matters worse was given a ride home by another guy.

Did I give up at this point even though tempted through the disappointment?
NO!

I did other things over the many months this potential relationship was on my radar and in my heart.
I then got traditional with my tactics and invited her to see a movie.
She agreed to this one thank goodness! Can even still remember what we saw.
When she got sick I sent her a get well card under the guise of "pastoral care".
Yes I cared she was sick, but thought it might show my caring side and hopefully get her to like me a little more?
When New Years Eve came around I offered to give her a 'new years eve hug'.
Several days later all my praying and planning seemed to work.
We kissed for the very first time in a park by a tree. It was awesome!
Just over 2 months later we were engaged.
And at the end of that year after graduating Bible College, we got married.

So why am I telling you all this?
What is my point?

I wanted to be married to the girl so I put everything I could into it.
Half hearted would never win her heart.
Giving it a try and giving up at the first hurdle would achieve me nothing.
It took a dogged determination to win her and I think it was worth all the effort and ups and downs along the way.
I had to be fully immersed in the process to achieve what I was looking for.

I truly believe your relationship with Jesus should be the same.
You need a dodged determination. A passion to make it work, see it flourish and grow.
The Bible tells us that it takes loving God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength.
It is all or nothing. 'Full immersion' as I like to call it.
I am more than willing to give my all for my King! What about you?

Something to think about...

No comments: