Thursday, November 30, 2017

I just said "no"

I have done something this week I hardly ever do...
I have just said "no".

It is not part of my nature and even my training as a leader. I want to say "yes". Maybe not as fanatically as Jim Careys Yes Man movie (and not recommending it to view), but pretty close.
My agenda, if I have one has been simple, I have simply always wanted to serve. Whether it is the needs of others, my Church, and even further a field.

Due to the circumstances I and my family have been navigating, saying yes to everyone has caused me a few issues.
So with much embarrassment, regret, guilt and other assorted emotions I said "no" to an event I promised I could help with less than 24 hours before I was supposed to be there.
The organiser wasn't very happy with me. I get that.
It was a call I don't ever make. Don't think they understood that.

Maybe I need to learn to say "no"?

God says no not because He doesn't like us, but because He loves us.
There is His divine timing.
He sometimes even better just around the corner.
If God says no and that is good and even spiritual, maybe I could learn something from that?

Sometimes no is a safe place.
No helps you avoid burning yourself out.
Avoids letting others down when you can't keep up with all your yes's.

Scripture tells us that both yes and no are ok. Just let them be clear which one you mean.
All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. 
Matthew 5:37 niv

If you are person who by nature says no, then this simple thought might not be exactly for you except to ask if God would like you to say yes more?
If you recognise you are a bit like me, maybe a tad bit a 'people pleaser', maybe you need to let the Holy Spirit guide you when to use that special word "no" a little more often?

Something to think about...

No comments: