Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Why do I give? #1

I have been thinking about why I give, especially in light of many around me questioning why you would even bother.
Many weeks at Churches around the globe there is that 'moment'. That moment where someone encourages, convinces, cajoles even sometimes, those in attendance to give something financially.

Please, before you write me off and stop reading because you really feel uncomfortable with this topic, why not take a moment to check out my personal thoughts on this?
What I am going to share is me. What I think. Why I give and even continue to give.

I want to contribute

My very first Sunday morning experience in August 1991 is where I heard about a way I could be part of what God was doing at the Church I started attending.
Now I had only been there 7 days, with my first experience being the Sunday night before.
The Pastor does something called an 'offering talk', and I can still remember thinking "how does this even work?", that it all sounded a bit strange and foreign to me.
At the same time I remember thinking that I wanted to be part of what was going on.
That if it took some of the resources I had, then why not.
I should at least give it a try and see what happens...

Jesus had radically changed my life after watching a video and then with my responding by giving my heart to him in the shower.
I was passionately trying to find my way.
And in my passion and maybe arguably naivety I went with what someone over me in Christ suggested.
I wanted to contribute.
Because I didn't have enough experience yet, I couldn't offer to worship lead, preach, even help on the door. What I did recognise quickly is that I could contribute to the work of God at that Church with some dollars.

I started contributing that way August 27th 1991, and I can honestly and proudly say I have counted it an honour to continue doing to this day!
I want to contribute to what God is wanting to do.
I want to play my part with what I can, to ultimately see the Churches needs met.
I want to make sure that I do what I can, in part to at least give something back to God for what He has so graciously done for me.

“Since the people began to bring their contributions to the temple of the Lord, we have had enough to eat and plenty to spare, because the Lord has blessed his people, and this great amount is left over.”
2 Chronicles 31:10 niv

What a great picture of the way it should work...
When Gods people all contribute, there is always more than enough, there are leftovers, and all of Gods people feel blessed!

Something to think about...

No comments: