Wednesday, August 02, 2017

What is God saying today? Part 4

What is God saying today?
I have been reading the Book of Revelation and struck again how God specifically and passionately spoke to each of the 7 Churches mentioned.
And I felt challenged to break each message down and see how that relates potentially to each of us today.
The writer regularly used the phrase "anyone with ears...listen to the Spirit..."
Let's see what the Spirit is saying to each of us today...

Revelation 2:18-28 niv - Message to the Church in Thyatira
18 “To the angel of the church in Thyatira write:
These are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are like blazing fire and whose feet are like burnished bronze. 19 I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first.

I think it is awesome that God notices what I attempt to do for Him!
Even if no one else notices, acknowledges or even thanks me for my service to the Kingdom of God, God is happy with what I bring.

20 Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. 21 I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. 22 So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. 23 I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.

Why bring up this lady called Jezebel?
This lady featured during the time of the Kings, specifically after Israel and Judah became two kingdoms. She was a very strong and forceful character married to an easily lead King called Ahab.
Her claim to infamy was her willingness to destroy others for personal gain, her lack of morals, and her manipulation of others lives.
She wanted the good bits of being part of Israel, her position and the benefits there of. But she didn't want God interfering. Didn't think He was needed.
For me the warning is to make sure I am not like her in any way.
That I don't allow others to lead me who are like her.
That I do what I can make sure that her spirit of intimidation and manipulation isn't part of my family of faith.
Those things I will never tolerate!

24 Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets, ‘I will not impose any other burden on you, 25 except to hold on to what you have until I come.’

I think many of us are looking for secrets.
Like 'what is the hidden meaning of this or that' in scripture...
I believe that when Jesus encouraged us to have a child like faith, that He meant it about His Word as well. To simply take it as it is. To live it out as it is.
Many struggle to live out the most basic tenants of our faith - why look to complicate things?

When someone tells me they haven't just had a personal revelation, but that God is showing them and them alone a secret truth that has been hidden until now - I run!

26 To the one who is victorious and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations— 27 that one ‘will rule them with an iron scepter and will dash them to pieces like pottery’—just as I have received authority from my Father. 28 I will also give that one the morning star. 29 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

What is God saying to you today?
Be encouraged, be challenged, be listening...

Why this little series...?
I have for a long time believed that God speaks to everyone.
Since the beginning of history there are account after account of people hearing God speak to them. From Adam through Moses and then to today. Spoke has spoken and continues to speak.
(Apart from when He promised to be quiet for 400 years - and kept His promise.)

Scripture tells us that God gave us each ears, not just to hear naturally with, but also to hear supernaturally with!
Scripture shows us as well that God can speak audibly, through angels and others, circumstances and His Word. He has a lot of communication tools in His toolbox...

No comments: