Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Pursuit of Happiness - Part 9


According to more ‘educated’ types than myself, the book Great Expectations is supposed to be a ‘great’ read…
I wouldn’t know to be honest.
Might have to put it on my to-do list one day?

I have found that expectations seem to affect happiness on some level.

Some say you shouldn’t have great expectations in life because if you don’t expect too much, you won’t be as disappointed.

Some say you should expect beyond all expectation.
Reach for the stars and you might reach the moon type thing.

While others say you should have realistic expectations, so that you fall somewhere in the middle of those other two.

I don’t think that any of the above work for me!
I have tried all three at different times of my life and failed I feel, to gain any happiness from them.
I found I needed some ‘God factor’ in this expectations vibe to make some happiness come from it.

There is a healthy tension for me about how God talks about expectations.
On one hand He asks us to be people of faith, to take steps of faith. To know He has great plans (expectations) for us that are even beyond even our wildest imagining.
On the other He ask us to be content with what we have, to rest in the waiting for our great expectations.

For me happiness is knowing both. Not just one.

I love the idea there is so much more with God to this life.
I also love the idea I can be content right now somehow.

Maybe trusting in God and His perfect timing will equal happiness for you and me?

Something to think about…

No comments: