Friday, March 09, 2012

Pursuit of Happiness - Part 10

Some people got together not so long ago and conspired to have me thrown out of a plane.
I am very grateful that this conspiracy included me being strapped to an expert in this field of adventure.

There are many things I remember about that day, including the lead up to it and how I felt afterwards about it.
Beyond the feeling of accomplishment (even though I was there for the ride), I desperately wanted to feel happy about the whole thing!
Don't get me wrong...I am happy I did it...and there were moments I thought it was amazing.
But there was one factor that robbed me of the full extent of happiness I could have had from that day.

FEAR.

I was so scared!
For days leading up to it I was happy, but also I was freaking out.
As we tumbled out the plane I was fearful.
As the parachute finally opened I was fearful.
Coming into land I was fearful.

I look back now and realise that fear robbed me of the level of happiness I could have experienced.
I was scared of things beyond my control.
I was scared of the unknown parts of this whole adventure.
If I could have eliminated fear...I bet I would have enjoyed it even more!

God knows that fear is looking to rob us on the adventure of life He has for each of us.
That is why He asks us to not go there as much as possible. Not the adventure part...the fear part!
He encourages us to not let fear rob us or manipulate us.
And He encourages us to look to Him and not what scares us, so that potential fear loses some or all of its power.

One day I plan to do this same thing again.
Because I know I have less to fear...I think I will be even more happy to do it.

Something to think about...


No comments: