Friday, June 07, 2019

This was me but is not me anymore!

Have you had anyone ever throw your past back in your face?
That nasty moment when someone tries to run you down based on who you used to be?

There were plenty of people around Jesus who had a 'past':
- Mary Magdalene used to be a prostitute
- Matthew used to be a tax collector (traditionally ripped people off)
- Thomas became known one day as 'Doubting Thomas'.
Just to name a few...

I wonder if sometimes people attacked them with their past mistakes?
Trying to be-little them because they failed, misstepped, missed the mark expected by others and probably even by themselves?
I have been disturbed sometimes to hear people describe others they know by their past and leave it at that - I think in some way as to make themselves feel better, because they weren't a prostitute or a swindler or a doubter.

Paul helped sum up his life to Timothy in a letter he once wrote him...
1 Timothy 1:12-16 niv
12I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

15Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.

It is like he is saying "I was a plonker, maybe even the worst one ever, but I thank God He saved me. I am not that person anymore."

I care and I don't care about your past!
I totally get that you and I have one. Maybe even one we are not proud of?
What I most care about is who you are now in Christ and who you will become going forward on your journey of faith!

Don't worry when someone tries to throw your past in your face.
If you know that is just your past, then ignore them.
They are just bitter and in desperate need of the love and grace of God right now themselves. They are probably venting their heart burning frustration with their own struggles.

2 Corinthians 3:17-18 niv
17Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Paul's advice to you and me is to remember that we are actually being transformed. Maybe not always in the way or pace we like, but being altered on the altar of His grace none-the-less.

Ignore your haters. They are just haters.
Focus on Christ and what He has done and is doing in your life!
That was me but it is not me anymore!

Something to think about...



No comments: