Monday, June 10, 2019

Feeling better by comparison?

I bet you have compared yourself to someone else at some stage.
We all have...
It probably elicited some sort of an emotional response. Either it made you feel better or worse depending on the person/situation you compared yourself to.

Some years ago I heard a testimony which kind of pricked my attention, not because it was great, but because it disturbed me greatly. I wish now I handled it better afterwards, where I spoke to the person involved, but I didn't and that is on me!
Anyway, they said they used to get down on life when they compared themselves to others seemingly more successful than them. Their "revelation" was to compare themselves with those not doing as well, and that apparently made them feel better. The scary thing was that they thought that was a valid and godly approach...

Now I am a Pastor.
Honestly we as Pastors can be the very worst at this!
Not with the people we minister to or the like, but how we measure success in our ministry, in our leadership, in our Churches.
Even after leading our Church for 10 years I am still stupidly comparing myself. Why?
Because probably deep down I am looking for validation, encouragement and a sense of value from all these years of service.
The problem is for guys like me, it always appears that everyone else is doing a better job because our Church is still considered very small when 'compared' to the average Church. When 'compared' to those we are encouraged to learn from and their successful building of super large and influential faith families, I seem to be coming up woe-fully short.
To be further honest, on a bad day, it is positively soul destroying - please note the mixed language...
There is nothing positive about. It can bring me to a very low point very quickly.

Galatians 6:4-5 says this...
4Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5for each one should carry their own load. (niv)

The idea is that you should only gauge your life, ministry or even success simply on whether you have done your very best to honour God in it. You can only carry your own burden. You can't carry someone else's or measure yourself well with someone else's.

2 Corinthians 10:12 pushes this point further...
We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. (niv)

Paul I think is saying to not even dare to do it. It is unwise. Doesn't achieve much benefit either way.

Then I think he sobers us up further with this comment...
Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
Galatians 5:26 niv

If you compare up you feel stink.
If you compare down you act kind of stink.

All you and I can do is ask ourselves the honest questions...
Are we doing everything we can to honour God with what we are attempting for the Kingdom?
Are we looking first and foremost to Him to validate us?
I find this really hard and a challenge personally.

Something to think about...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You guys do an amazing job.
My life is not the life I had 2 years ago. In so many good ways thanks to you and helping me fully find my faith.
Even if I move away and life takes me somewhere else that impact will be with me forever.
I'm sure in the way you reminisce over people who have influenced your lives, I believe there are many out there who would say the same about you guys....you are changing lives and walking people to God....that's massive :)