Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The Power of 'Specific Prayer'

I have just recently realised I had done something in regards to prayer that works and had forgotten its power.

Late last year I prayed for financial help from God to help pay for something. Something that was not within my ability to do even if I tried and scrimped and saved.
Out of what seemed like nowhere someone offered to give me money towards this thing, and for some reason I have only just remembered that it was a prayer answered.

A very specific prayer.

In my first year if Bible College I needed an acoustic guitar.
Back then Churches didn't seem to like me leading from an electric, but I was a poor student and had no idea how I could buy one.
At a lecture on prayer one day the lecturer pulled me aside and asked me what I wanted from God right now. Very quickly I responded that I needed an acoustic.
To my surprise she didn't just dive in and pray with me, she asked me to be more specific.
What would it look like? Any special features?
On the spot I remember rattling off things from the top of my head under pressure. Cut away shape, something different looking to standard acoustics, gold hardware.
It was only a few weeks later that I was given cash from various sources and able to visit a local music shop, where I found a guitar like I pictured and prayed for.

A very specific prayer.

When a man by the name of Bartimaeus encountered this Jesus he has heard of before, his cry for help was very general.
He asked for mercy.
And that cry for mercy got the mercy givers attention.
But Jesus asks him to be more specific with his request.
Jesus asked him, "What do you want me to do for you?"
The blind man said to him, "Rabbi, that I may see again."

All along Bartimaeus wanted to see and yet all he thought he could do was ask for mercy...
There is nothing wrong with asking God to help!
But maybe there is something more powerful in asking specifically?

So what would you like God to do specifically for you right now?
Beyond the basics of life and living, what do you need from heaven that is impossible in the natural and only possible in the supernatural.
Can I encourage you to try being very specific in your prayer, because there is real power in that!

Something to think about...

No comments: