Wednesday, February 13, 2019

I have another confession to make...

No I am not going to sing you a Foo Fighters song, and yes I have a confession to make...
Sometimes I have struggled to believe.

That's right this Pastor has struggled to believe that God will do what He promised.
That what He does for others, that He would do for me.
Not that He couldn't do it, just whether He would.

Now don't panic, I have not had a "crisis of faith" as they say in regards to God, my relationship with Jesus and/or my salvation.
Graciously ever since I gave my entire life to God in 1991 that has never been as issue. 
But I have had some struggles over the years. 
Maybe some of my journey might help you today?

We have heard God speak to us clearly and then faced many many years of waiting. While we have waited we have continued to serve and sacrifice with every last fibre of our being.
Maybe that is something you can relate to?

Many as well have the same experience as time goes by.
If you are not careful you can become jaded and cynical.
Your present struggle blinds you to the memory of what amazing things God has done in the past and most certainly can and wants to do again in the future.
I write this for you and for me!

To help here is a great illustration from scripture...

Jesus encounters a moment where a man with a seriously troubled son is seeking help.
He for whatever reason, convenience, opportunity or nervousness goes to the followers close to Jesus instead of going to Him directly. There is a ministry moment and it hasn't gone as hoped, the kid still has issues.

Jesus does his Jesus thing, He moves into the situation ready and willing.
The father says "...if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”
Jesus response is this “‘If you can’?”
“Everything is possible for one who believes.”

Next there is a phrase that is super intriguing and telling, that was uttered by a desperate parent as he encountered this Jesus.
“I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” Mark 9:24 niv
Like what? You believe but don't believe? Which one is it?

Does Jesus rebuke the Dad who is struggling? No.
He meets and exceeds his expectations in one move, by healing his son of his afflictions.

If you and I are honest, this is us as well.
We believe and also have some space to believe some more.
There is capacity in each one of our spiritual lives for more honesty and more belief.

God is bigger than any box we can put Him in and larger than any revelation we have had so far.
I want to honestly come to Him and ask for help to believe for more.
I also want to see God move. To fulfil His promises.
I want to see God do what I read and quote....
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us. Ephesians 3:20 niv

When this Dad asked Jesus how things are supposed to work, how do we after this day see this happen again and again, Jesus response is simple and important.
He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer." Mark 9:29 niv

Pray for yourself and get prayer from others
It is hard to pray for us when we are struggling to believe. But it also the very best thing to do and source of your help and healing.
Just be honest with God and yet declare your belief in Him and His mercy and power.
Grab a friend or two and ask them to for you and with you.

Something to think about...


*Shameless Plug*
If you want to explore this more with me you are welcome to join us at Taupo Elim this Sunday where I am expanding on this. Or you can visit our Podcast Site once it gets uploaded after Sunday.

No comments: