Wednesday, October 11, 2017

3 Wells

At this time of year I get a planned spiritual break/holiday/reset.
We have our movements annual conference in New Zealand's biggest city, and I take it as my opportunity to hear afresh from God.

Every year I have been blessed to have my expectations met.
God has each year without fail given me vision, direction, correction, whatever I need at this conference. And not always from what the speakers have shared, but just from having the opportunity to be in His presence.

One thing He spoke to me about I wanted to share in the hope it may help and encourage some of you.

I felt God tell me that it was time to dig a new well for my spiritual growth, especially for my personal devotion time with Him.
I then remembered the story of a man called Isaac who had some issues with wells.
It seemed to me God was speaking something important to me...

Isaac’s servants dug in the valley and discovered a well of fresh water there. But the herders of Gerar quarreled with those of Isaac and said, “The water is ours!” So he named the well Esek, because they disputed with him. Then they dug another well, but they quarreled over that one also; so he named it Sitnah. He moved on from there and dug another well, and no one quarreled over it. He named it Rehoboth, saying, “Now the Lord has given us room and we will flourish in the land.”
Genesis 26:19-22

Each of those wells had a meaning.
Dispute / Opposition / Room

Life will potentially see the well you have been drawing from either dry up, be filled with clutter from the others or even lost in contention and the struggles of life.
Maybe the lifestyle you lead is different to say 5 years ago? And now you can't do what you used to do? Well (excuse the pun) it is time to probably change things up...
Sometimes staring at your dried up well asking "what went wrong?" is kind of pointless.
Nothing changes no matter how how you wish, will or wonder.
Sometimes the best thing to do is simply dig a new one.

Isaac eventually got a well that gave him room again to flourish.
He showed us that if his well wasn't going to make him grow, then he has to be proactive and go dig again.
I think I need a new one as well to flourish again in God.
Maybe you need one as well?

I am setting aside a new time, style etc in my devotions and exploring a new well.
And looking forward drinking something new and refreshing in Him.

Something to think about...

No comments: