Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Reluctant

I have learnt recently that in some areas of my life and faith I am reluctant.
Some of the issues that have hurt me in some way have actually come from me being reluctant.
When I am reluctant I am being hesitant, sometimes overly cautious.
It means I want to avoid the issue, even pretend it is not an issue because ultimately I am unwilling to deal with the issue.

I am a pastor so therefore you would expect me to be a good leader.
Sometimes I am reluctant to operate as a leader and want to avoid conflict, avoid dealing with difficult issues. It doesn't require much expertise to realise that being reluctant doesn't work well in that environment.

When God speaks to me about something exciting, challenging, faith requiring and I am reluctant, that is not the best mix. When I ignore or push past being reluctant, amazing things always happen.

Honestly that has been my experience a lot lately.
When I have been passionate and focused on my role as a leader it has gone better than I expected.
When I follow through quickly and without over analysing what God asks me to do it goes better than I expected.

Jonah discovered this to be true as well. His story while more dramatic than most of ours, still matches ours.
God asked him to do a task and Jonah was reluctant. So reluctant in fact he did everything he could to get away from the task. It was only when he turned from his being reluctant that he actually saw what God could do with his life.

In regards to your following Jesus.
In regards to your faith.
In regards to your serving.
In regards to your love and forgiving.
In regards to your giving.
Please don't be reluctant. It won't work for you...

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7 niv

If you are going to run from anything this week run from being a reluctant "_____", whatever that blank is for you.
Be brave, trust God - see what He can with your acts of faith.

Something to think about...

reluctant
adjective
unwilling and hesitant; disinclined.

No comments: