Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Towers

I have been thinking lately about certain objects that appear in scripture, some reoccur many times, and what that mean for my faith today...

As I was thinking and praying about this weeks Simple Thought I remembered a scripture about towers. It in turn reminded me of a song we sang at Church when I first went - don't worry - not about to bring it back to ya - but the message of it is very powerful.

Check it out...

The name of the Lord is a strong tower;
The righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10 nkjv

I hope reading the scripture causes you to ask a few questions. Questions like:

How can a name be a strong tower?
I find it intriguing the writer don't talk about a place, but a name, as the tower that is strong.
When we think of towers it is always an imposing structure with maybe a spiral staircase and a lookout. Here we are told to look at the name of the Lord as our tower.
Here is why I think he did that...
Firstly if it was place we would all at some point head off on a pilgrimage to it. If it was in Taupo for example, all the Christians would come running. But God can be your strong tower where ever you are.
Second the name of Lord is the highest place. Scripture tells us there is power in His name. That at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow and tongue confess that He is Lord.
I don't know about you, but I want to be associated with that name!
That is the best "name drop" you can have!

Do I need a strong tower?
At some stage you are going to face a moment or series of moments where you are going to need God in this way. Where life has happened and you are needing a rescue, needed to be lifted up.
If you look at the Hebrew for tower you can translate it as tower. Nothing staggering there. But a tower is actually a place that lifts you off the ground. Lifts you above the circumstances. Now that is an image you can grab. An image of Jesus being the safe place and lifter of your life above whatever you are facing.

Why are the righteous needing to ran to it?
The righteous are running to it because that is what the righteous do.
We always come running to Jesus. We make the most of the best and safest place to go.
When things happen I am unhappy about or I find challenging I simply run to Jesus.
I consider that my best option out of all the options open to me.
You can trust the name of Jesus. You can be safe!

Something to think about...

No comments: