Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Fact Check

There is no denying it now I guess, with all the technology and the ensuing platforms for communication it has created, it is actually getting a little tricky for people to find truth...

Today I just want to stir the pot a little with your thinking.
Why? Because the world you and your families are navigating for information is so full of half truth, propaganda, and filtered presentation. We no longer live in a world where you can trust what you read or watch.
For years America has had political leaning media, partisan ownership of news outlets. They understand that concept. We don't.
Our human nature loves to discover scandal and intrigue. Juicy stories trump truth to entertain our souls. Then add to the mix that we are very cynical, you have a recipe for confusion.

I have heard people say many times "that you shouldn't let the facts get in the way of a good story". They you should not worry about the delivery or truth, as long as your intended result is achieved.
The Nazis did that last century and look where that got us!

Here is my advice...

Think twice before sharing or reposting information online.
Just because it looks exciting or even fits your personal beliefs and agendas, don't be too hasty to share it with others. I fell for this a couple of years ago when I shared picture of several leaders meeting with a terrible character in world history. Someone contacted to let me know it was photoshopped. A quick check of other sources showed it was indeed a fake...

What is the hurry?
I think it is worth those around you to take a few moments to check sources, ask around some people more clever or learned than you. If it is true it will prove itself. The quickest aren't always the wisest.
Again and again I have said when a news story breaks, wait a few moments, even days, so more of the truth comes out before blasting your opinion.

Is it going to help others on their journey of faith?
This is a great question to ask yourself. Sometimes sharing things, while seemingly interesting can actually be a huge distraction to someone else or at worst, hurt their faith. Not everything is beneficial to be shared. Apply some filters to your communication.

Be a picky eater.
I have learnt that even though my desire is to be always learning, I am being more refined in my sources of truth and information. Less is more as they say. I would rather eat less information and stay on course than have a buffet of the stuff and get sick...

Acts 17:11 niv
Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

There is nothing wrong with doing your own research. I have always encouraged people who listen to me to check out what I have to say.

God actually offers to help us by giving us wisdom.
This wisdom is there to help you with all this stuff.

James 1:5 niv
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

Be prayerful as you navigated the 'truth' presenting itself to you.
Compare it what God says. Look for truth is actually back up with more truth.

Something to think about...


No comments: