Monday, July 06, 2015

Don't be too quick...

I am reminded of this again and again...
Sometimes things aren't what they appear to be on first glance.
Sometimes what is reported to have happened, isn't the whole story.

The world we live in now loves sound bites, headlines, quick responses to events.
It seems to be that gone are the days of taking the time to report a story or event with as many of the 'facts' as possible. 'Fair and balanced' has been replaced with the 'quick, free and easy' access to ideas.
No longer is it the 'norm' to be unbiased with reporting.
And even reporting from 'bias' is more than accepted.

I actually love how social media and the internet in general has sped up the flow of information.
For things like natural disasters and breaking events that people need to be aware of for a humane response or for safety, it is amazing.
On the flipside, it seems to me that this same medium has been hijacked but reactionary blasts without much consideration to fact, fairness or consequence.

How many 'news stories' lately have actually changed after a few days?
Where when both sides of the debate have been presented or more facts come to light, the story is kind of different to what was published...

I made a decision some time ago to slow down responding to things that everyone gets excited about.
I let a day or so pass before leaping to my keyboard. I watch. I research. I pray. I consider.
Then and only then do I think about making a response.

Scripture reminds me of many things that I think are related to this:
- To consider carefully what I choose to believe and then report.
- To not be too hasty in what I say or do.
- To be careful and considered in how I deal with others and their ideas/beliefs.

Can I encourage you to take a breath next time you are about to vent about something you have heard or read. And let God show you what your response should be...maybe even sit on it for a day or two?

Something to think about...


No comments: