Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The hardest things to do... #5

Bookend Scripture
“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 
2 Corinthians 12:9 nkjv

Love

I actually loved being in love, especially when I was young.
It is probably to my shame, why I was a serial dater in high school.
I loved the feeling and the excitement of it running through my veins.

You learn as you get older or as a particular 'love affair' gets longer in the tooth, that for some strange reason the original gooeyness isn't quite the same.
Many people at this point say things like "I feel like I have fallen out of love"...
Like love is some boat that by chance they fell into and then somehow correspondingly fell out of again at a later date. You can hopefully agree that it does seem a little strange when you think about it?

So why do I think love is one of the hardest things to do?
Here are a few reasons...

Love was never meant to be simply a feeling. And yet I see us simplifying it to that level again and again.

Love is many faceted in its true appearance and when we limit it to one facet it leaves us disappointed and cold.

Love is more than an idea or a fantasy. It is both a response and a premeditated choice.

Love is required sometimes when we least want to show it or experience it, yet seems life is less otherwise.

Love is used too many times as an excuse or a license for silliness, when it is meant to bring about the greatest good. Avoiding it even limits life!

God doesn't say too many different things about himself.
But when He does say something I think it is worth taking note of.
One time he said that 'God is Love'. A pretty big call to make. Especially in a statement like that.
And yet He lives up to this boost in his action, and more than in His feelings alone.

Giving up your Son. Showing mercy when none was deserved. Pouring out blessing on the good and the bad. All powerful expressions of love.

I remind myself of this amazing dynamic many times to make sure I get it.
Love can start as how you 'feel' while you learn how to 'do'.
And
Love is what you 'do' so that it changes how you 'feel'.

Something to think about...

Bookend Scripture
“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 
2 Corinthians 12:9 nkjv

_____________________________________________

Note on this little 'simple thought' series
I have been thinking recently about sharing honestly, transparently about some of the hardest aspects of our faith, of following Jesus. Not wanting to do this in a negative way at all, but in a way that helps us all I hope on our journey.

I am a fan of what scripture encourages us to do - to cheer each other on!
So with that in mind I am going to bookend each 'simple thought' of this series with one scripture.

A scripture that reminds us that when we are weak, God has room to do something. That when you are struggling with some aspect of following Jesus, God is ready to jump in and do His thing!

No comments: