Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The hardest things to do... #3

Bookend Scripture
“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 
2 Corinthians 12:9 nkjv

Finish

Are you one of 'those' people?
You know, the ones who are really good at starting things, but find it quite challenging to actually finish things?
Don't beat yourself up as you read this! I would rather encourage you instead...

Here are two thoughts around this idea today:

1. God is able to finish what He began in your life!

The reasons why I can say that is because He actually has planned to help you finish well.
Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6 niv

When God looks at your life He is not solely focused on the stumbles and the mistakes.
He is looking at it in its entirety. Beginning, middle and end.
Blips and bumps are just that to Him, blips and bumps. He will forgive you if you need forgiven and He will patch you up if you need patched up - all so that you can finish.

Check out the example of Peter in the Gospels and you will see how God works.
Peter makes a whole bunch of mistakes it appears at the pinnacle of all that Jesus was doing for him and for us. And yet Jesus turns up one day after the resurrection, cooks Peter breakfast, and reinstates him. All because God wants Peter to finish and not be shipwrecked by those mistakes.

2. You can finish and you can finish well!

You can finish your race!
Because God has done it, you can now do it...
Jesus on the cross didn't say large amounts, but what He did say has huge ramifications for us who believe. He actually said "it is finished" - which it a powerful 3 word statement about His life.
You and I can finish our race because Jesus has done the hardest part for us. He removed the hurdle that was always stopping us finishing well. It is now gone so what are waiting for?

Take heart that God is determined to help you finish well!
More determined than what you can generate in your own strength.
Look to Him...Trust Him...
Pick up your cross and follow Him, and see what He does in the life you now live for Christ!

Bookend Scripture
“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 
2 Corinthians 12:9 nkjv

Something to think about...

_____________________________________________

Note on this little 'simple thought' series
I have been thinking recently about sharing honestly, transparently about some of the hardest aspects of our faith, of following Jesus. Not wanting to do this in a negative way at all, but in a way that helps us all I hope on our journey.

I am a fan of what scripture encourages us to do - to cheer each other on!
So with that in mind I am going to bookend each 'simple thought' of this series with one scripture.

A scripture that reminds us that when we are weak, God has room to do something. That when you are struggling with some aspect of following Jesus, God is ready to jump in and do His thing!

No comments: