Wednesday, July 02, 2014

thoughts on 'this temple'...*nine*

Unless the Lord builds the house,
    the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
    the guards stand watch in vain.

Psalm 127:1 niv

When I first pondered this whole idea of God making His home in us...
Of God saying that our bodies are His temple...
This was actually one of the first scriptures that popped into my head.
When it did I wondered why briefly and was then reminded how this mirrors the life I have experienced. 

I am a huge fan of having a faith that acts out our passion and zeal for God. Where we take seriously the new life He has won for us and make the most of it. 
I have in all my time following Him encouraged others to make every effort to live out their faith. Through actions and speech, to do something with what they have received from God.
To this day I still don't think any of that is wrong.

But where you can come unstuck is thinking your passion for God and all your activity in His service will fix everything that we maybe consider wrong with us.
The logic being, that if I work harder - that God will do more in my life.
That I operate under a reward only based system. That is called 'works'.

If God decides you are His temple, then God is majorly responsible for making it what He wants and needs it to be. Yes we can get in the way, but I still consider God bigger than our struggles!
There is a point we all need to arrive at where we let God do the building. To do the work.
When we choose to be faithful to the course we are on and let God show His faithfulness to us, He builds us into who He desires to dwell inside of.

Doesn't the Bible also say that He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it?
Doesn't the Bible also encourage us to 'rest'? To enter a state of being and life where we rest of Him and not our own struggling and striving.

So may you come to realise God is probably more interested in building you than you are yourself.
That you can trust Him to build you just the way He needs you to be.
And you will be His favourite place to be in all of creation.
Just let Him in. And let Him do His work...

Something to think about...

Please note : this is the final of this series of thoughts - hope you have gained something from them...

No comments: