Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Negative Legacy vs Positive Lesson

I think you and I are faced with this many times.
And probably more than we even realise.
Because in the course of life, lots of different experiences happen around us and to us...which can lead to either a negative legacy or a positive lesson.

Last weekend I decided to give a race, that I am plainly not in the league of, another try. Not because I am a glutton for punishment, but because I wanted the challenge.
I wanted to see if I could do better than the year before.
I was racing myself more than anyone else and I was more than comfortable with that.

As the weather was kind of nasty that morning leading up the event I made the decision to wear a bit more than I normally would. I thought staying warm before the race was a good decision.
So armed with full body compression gear I lined up.
The race started.
We tore off up the first few hills.
And I noticed that something was wrong...

From feeling good to feeling sick happened too quick and it took a few kilometres to realise my error.
My compression top was new and I had never worn it at an event.
Every breath I took was hampered by this stupid thing restricting my chest.
Looking around I could see that not one other athlete was wearing what I was.
A singlet was all they thought was required. And they were better for it!

So I struggle on the finish line. In a time I was embarrassed with. More annoyed than disappointed.

So here I face the equation...
Negative Legacy vs Positive Lesson

When I reviewed what happened I had to choose one option.
I chose to stop beating myself up and chose to learn from the experience.
I plan to come back again next year and bash it out again better from the experience.

You are I can do this with even more important events in our lives.
Whenever you find you have made a mistake...with a job, or a relationship, a comment, an action or even an inaction...
Can I encourage to as quickly as possible decide if it will be a negative legacy or a positive lesson.
And then get one with this life God has graciously given each of us.

Something to think about...

No comments: