Wednesday, November 06, 2013

The Snare

So many times I have found myself in this position...
That moment you think about giving up on something because it scares you.
That time when you may have just not shown up, because you thought it would be uncomfortable.
Have you been like that recently? Or sometimes during your life?
When the fear of something has put you off...

Fear is 'the snare' that robs many of us of what life in Christ can truly be like!

One of the Proverbs in the Bible says this...
That the "Fear of man will prove to be a snare".
What is a snare anyway and how does it work?

Snares are actually a tool used by hunters.
They were these little (hidden) traps set to catch their desired prey.
And when the prey got too close or stood on the snare. it would catch them and hold them in place.
Sometimes the snare would imprison them until the hunter came to finish them off, and other times it would slowly kill them as they lay helpless and stuck.

For weeks I had planned to do a sports event that was happening on the monday night.
In fact it had been many years in the making after being part of a team version of the same thing some decades ago. I really wanted to try this event!
But as the time for the race approached, and I don't know why, I got progressively more nervous, and let fear well up inside. It got to the point where I even started to fish around in my mind for some excuse not to do it.

I am now very thankful I didn't give in to it.
Because that fear was a snare.
It would have robbed me of a sense of accomplishment.
It would have sown in me possible failure and disappointment.
And it could have created a precedent in my life that stops from doing things like it again.

Let's check out the rest of the Bible verse I mentioned before...
Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25

The key is putting your trust in something other than the wrong thoughts we have to wrestle with.
Trusting God has always worked better than fear for disciples of Jesus!

Psalm 25:15 says "My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only he will release my feet from the snare."

Can I encourage you to not give into what snare is lying in wait for you?
And if you have been ensnared, look in the right place for your release?
Please don't let fear be 'the snare' for you any longer...

Something to think about...

No comments: