Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pace

I think I have learnt a few things along my life's journey so far.
And one of them is that I need to pace myself.
And I'll take it further, I have found I need help to pace myself.

When I first got into sports I thought it wouldn't be too hard if I just kept working at it.
I soon learnt that I struggled to know what effort to put into what areas, and for how long.
I used to run or cycle on my own, and it left me struggling and confused many times.

So I had a cunning plan and joined a running club.
That opened up to me a world of opportunities. Most of which was the new found ability to learn the art of pacing. Others helped. Some coached. Some yelled. It all went into the mix to help develop pace in my sports life.

I then bought a watch that tells me every 1km or 10km how my pace is going.
I found I needed it because there are times I can't be around the group, and yet I still need help with it. My watch helps me. I know I can trust it. It is a far more reliable judge of my pace than I can be.

In our walk or journey with Jesus I firmly believe you need to develop pace.
Notice I didn't say speed.
You need to find a divine pace that works best for you at each and every season of your life.
And just as in my sport life I can't trust myself alone to get it right.
The same I think applies to my spiritual life.
So I have influences and influencers to help me find the right pace.

I have several mentors who are not my 'friends' but who are my mentors. That way I know I will be mentored and not just told what I want to hear in regards to pace.
I read the Bible as much as I can to let it judge my thoughts, motivations and attitudes. I have found to really helps me pace right.
Finally I have my relationship with Christ.
If I am going to compare my pace expectations with anyone it is with Him. I want with all my heart to move along at the pace Jesus expects of me and knows I can operate under in His strength.
Having Jesus as my 'pace man' means I can never be complacent or lazy. He sets the tone of my life, and I am more than happy to live up to His expectations.

Can I encourage you to find your pace?
But make sure it is based in Christ and not in yourself...
Then I think you will run a race that will definitely gain you 'the prize'.

Something to think about....

2 comments:

Di Burnett said...

How true this is. I was deceived into 'rushing' through my life and ended up with ME. Jesus is teaching me to pace myself as I look only to Him and His guidance through the Holy Spirit. SHALOM

Locky McNeill said...

Thanks Di for your comments...honoured you would take the time to read them :)