Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Birds

The other day I hear a swoosh sound right behind my head as I am powering up a steep hill on my trusty two wheeled steed.
I swing my head quickly around to see one of those angry little magpies circling around me, but clever enough to stay behind me. Twice more this same varmint went for the back of my head. And twice more I swing around, a little more wildly each time, determined to not let this beast get the better of me.

You will be pleased to know that eventually it gave up this game of intimidation.
But as I rode off into my virtual sunset it did got me thinking about life a little.

There are plenty of times when we are travelling in a planned direction when something decides to try and intimidate us. And that intimidation is designed to do one thing only. To stop us or restrict us.
That magpie was determined to get its point across that day.
It wanted to make sure I didn't go that way again.
Well guess what little magpie? I am not giving in to you!
And when intimidation comes at you in life (more likely in a human form), why don't you scream at it the same thing? I am not giving in to you!

The Apostle Paul has a lot recorded in scripture about what he did and some who wanted to intimidate him, even mentioning a specific person. Some dude called Demetrius. Who actually was a guy who didn't like what Paul was doing for Christ and stirred up trouble for him. He didn't like his style, his tone, his anything and made it his goal to try and intimidate him into stopping.
Does Paul give up?
No way!
Does Demetrius fail?
Yes way!
All because Paul didn't stop. He kept on going with the call of God that was resonating in his being.

There is a silly old proverb, and no it is not from the Bible!
It goes something like this...You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair. 

The truth is in the pudding here. When the birds (whatever that bird is for you) come to attack and intimidate...simply don't give up! Keep on cycling or moving or preaching or sharing or loving or leading, whatever it is for you.
There will always be some magpie or a Demetrius. But let's not let them stop us from fulfilling the call God has for our lives.
Paul made it all the way to his destination of Rome.
Demetrius just becomes some bit player in the course of a life.

Scream it out with now..."I am not giving in to you!"

Something to think about...

No comments: