Wednesday, July 03, 2013

You are supposed to be scared sometimes...


This weekend I have signed up to something I kind of regret in some way.
After picking to do it I did some research into it - maybe not the most clever - but hey that is how I roll sometimes...
Taupo is hosting the North Island Cross Country Champs on Saturday and I entered my age division. I am not what you would call a gifted or natural runner. I just seem to like doing it.
It was after signing up that I found out that the slowest time for my group last year is faster than I have ever run before.

It is at this point that I faced a choice...because I am scared of what I am about to face.
My ego doesn't want to do something I will most likely come last at. And at the same time I know that it will be an experience I will never forget no matter what the outcome.
I remember that being scared is not a good deciding factor to do something or not do something. And I also remember that as a follower of Jesus, God has not called me to decide things based on my feelings.

The very first worship song I lead had a phrase in it that I am reminded of today.
It is based in scripture. It simply says "fear not, for I am with says the Lord"
That scripture and statement has far more meaning to you if you have a chance of being scared by doing something. Or if you are facing something massive right now.
If there is no opportunity to be scared, then you don't need God quite the same.

I think this...
That if you want to stay the same as you are now - don't do anything different from what you are doing now!
But if you want to grow, develop and change - make sure you are do something different with your life. Find something that will challenge you enough that it will potentially be scary.

It is in the 'scary' place where faith is tested, stretched and grown.
Security, safety and the like will not grow you as a person...in fact it can have the opposite effect...

Maybe you need to dive into something scary today?
Start a new ministry or join one at your Church.
Find a Club to be part of where you don't know many people.
Give to your Church more than you have ever done before financially.
Offer to serve someone in some way where they could never possibly pay you back.
Whatever it is make sure you have some scare factor built into it...trust God...and see your life change before yours and everyone else's eyes.

Something to think about...

No comments: