Wednesday, July 31, 2013

No Junk Mail


Last night I cleared our mailbox of what many call Junk Mail.
We joke sometimes that there is so much of the stuff that it took a tree or two to make it...
And as I walked back down the driveway I thought of others in our street who don't get all this stuff. The main reason it seems is that they have a little sign you may have seen which simply reads 'No Junk Mail'?

I don't know why I thought much about it, but it did strike a thought in my mind...

We have access to so much.
You get posts on your Facebook, even to your phone 24/7.
We can read news online at any time.
You can hear about earthquakes via an app the moment they happen.
We can entertain ourselves with music, games and tv programmes around the clock.
So Much Stuff!
And it just keeps on coming...

At the end of the day I think you sometimes need to ask yourself...is it all worth it and is it all good for me?

Maybe those No Junk Mail signs are what we need to use, not just on a mailbox but also for our hearts and minds?

Proverbs 4:23 says this...
Above all else, guard your heart,
for everything you do flows from it.

It doesn't mean that we need to put a wall up around our lives.
I think it means for us to just be wise about what you let into your life...

You don't need every new thing on the market.
Not every new song released is going to be good for you.
Not every latest release movie will be helpful.
Not every 'post' is going to help you and me get closer to Jesus.

I am looking a fresh at what I let into my life through a No Junk Mail filter.
I want to get closer to Jesus, not closer to the world.
I want my life to reflect His goodness, His glory and His power!

Something to think about...

No comments: