Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Talking


Have you seen those adverts on TV for coffee?
The ones where some girlfriends contact each other for a 'cuppa'.
They all meet up, drink some caffeinated goodness and seem to smile away sharing their lives...
While that may be a little corny for most of us and just a way to try and sell dried coffee, it reminds me of something more than valuable for us all.

As Suze, the boys and I drove up to Auckland for lunch with her mum yesterday, I was reminded of something powerful that can happen in our lives. It was a long way to go for lunch, but hey she is family and after her last few months it is the least I could do.

Because we had over 6 hours of driving it meant a lot of space to fill as we travelled.
Our kids have a portable DVD system we hook up to keep them entertained and more importantly quiet! All parents will understand why I mentioned the quiet part...
Instead of Suze and I sitting in silence or listening to seem rocking tunes we actually talked.
It wouldn't be exaggerating to say we spent most of that 6 hours yakking!
We talked about things important to us.
We talked about struggles and things we have wrestled with lately.
We talked about our hurts and things that have made us happy.
We talked about our past and our future.
We talked about what is important to us.
We talked about where we want to be and our dreams for our future.
We talked about what we value and what we are looking for.
We talked about through theology and our beliefs in what God likes and what He can do.
And we talked about God. What is He doing? Where is He leading?
Lots and lots of talking talking talking...

When I look back on that trip I realise a lot happened in the talking part.
It went beyond filling up space on a long journey to being a key part of our growth as followers of Christ. I think I grew spiritually talking. Talking with someone who values me and wants the best for me. Sharing with someone with similar values and goals. These conversations seem to grow you, make you closer and cement something of spiritual value in your life.

Can I encourage you pick someone, to find someone or even a group of someones?
A person or group with the same values or with values you think God wants you to have in your life. Some peeps you can grow with and learn from in conversation.
If coffee helps the conversation juices flowing, then roll with that.
Just find a way to talk with others. It could be the best thing you do with your time?

Something to think about...

No comments: