Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Not Everyone Likes Me


Not everyone likes me...
I know that is shocking, I mean I am so likeable (note - I am joking!)

In the last few weeks I have been attacked personally with some cutting words and opinions.
It happens to all of us many times during our lives.
And it always leaves you trying to process how much of what someone said was right or wrong? How you should or shouldn't respond? And what to do next...

Then I was reading today through some of the stuff Jeremiah, an old testament prophet went through and had to say. He had a hard job!
He was the guy who was tasked with telling a bunch of stroppy people that they had gotten it wrong lately, that God wasn't very happy about, and ultimately what God was going to do about it all.

One day a leader was so annoyed with a pot breaking demonstration and subsequent prophetic outburst that Jeremiah did, that they put him in stocks!
Not long after this experience Jeremiah records his feeling, his response to God.
It helped me process stuff better and maybe could help you?

I hear many whispering,
“Terror on every side!
Denounce him! Let’s denounce him!”
All my friends
are waiting for me to slip, saying,
“Perhaps he will be deceived;
then we will prevail over him
and take our revenge on him.”

But the Lord is with me like a mighty warrior;
so my persecutors will stumble and not prevail.
They will fail and be thoroughly disgraced;
their dishonor will never be forgotten.

Jeremiah 20:10-11 niv

This is the encouragement I take from this:

  • I am not the first to be misunderstood, be criticised, or even to get things wrong
  • I will not always be liked, and sometimes not liked by some people close to me
  • While that is not the best - I have the best on my side - God himself!


If you and I stay humble, stay focused on Jesus, stay running our race with determination...we will win our prize. No matter what anyone else thinks or even says about us.
I chose God's opinion of me over anyone else's!
Can I encourage you to do the same?

Something to think about...

No comments: