Saturday, April 20, 2013

I Don't Have Time...

Some years a go now I arrived at my office and was called into a meeting.
My supervisor told me that management were concerned that I was not using my time wisely each day and maybe I was actually being lazy.
So over the next 3 weeks I was required to fill in a time sheet. This time sheet was so detailed and defined I had to note down everything for every few minutes of my working day.

So the time trial finished and I dutifully handed in all the data.
Days went by without any response from my supervisor.
Days turned into weeks...which turned into months. Nothing!

Over a year later when this person had left the business I asked management about the time trial thing I had completed, and they said that they knew nothing about it!
It seems the supervisor had been jealous of our different work loads and how I got my work done faster than she could. It all came down to this valuable thing we call 'time'.

These days I hear a common refrain...
"I don't have time..."

While lifestyles have undoubtedly changed we still have similar amounts of time.
You have the same 24 hours a day that everyone else gets.
What you do with those 24 hours says a lot about who you are or who you want to be.

While that supervisor did have some things wrong, their little test taught me something I still value to this day. By getting me to look at how I allocated my day I learnt how to value the time I do have. It inadvertently taught me how to manage time better.

So if you are a person who says...
"I don't have time..." 
"I don't have time to spend helping someone"
"I can't fit time with God into my day"
"There isn't time in each day to read any scripture"...
I would love to encourage you to log your days for a week or so...
Not because I am checking up on you. But because you may need to review how you are spending the time God has given you. Maybe you will find out some areas you could review and/or adjust to better make use of the time resource?

Your time is YOUR possession - not someone else's!
I think God would like us to make sure we use it the best we can.

Thinking to think about...and maybe look into?

No comments: