Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Who Is He?


When you want to describe someone, you tell someone what they look like, what they do, what their personality is like...a whole bunch of things.
The better you know them, the more you can say or be able to refine how you say it. If you know someone real well you have some extra authority to what you say.
If you don't know them that well, most of us just share ideas and opinions based on all sorts of influences.

I think my wife Suze could probably tell anyone about me with authority.
We have known each other for over 20 years!
We got married in 1994, so she has nearly 2 decades of actually living with me most of those days that have followed.
She actually knows most of my thoughts. She knows all my motivations. She knows what I like to eat and what my favourite things to do are.
She can probably quote with a high level of accuracy my most important statements I have ever uttered.

I have heard of a guy called Barack Obama.
He is the President of a country. And all around the world many people have heard of his name. Most of the western world will see his image in the media most weeks of the year.
I think I know a little about him. He is married with 2 daughters. First african american president. That kind of thing...
But can I honestly say I really know him?
Can I truly say what he thinks and what he stands for?

You will have heard of someone called Jesus. And if you haven't I want you hear about Him.
One day Jesus asked the people who were closest to Him, who they thought He was. Here is an account of what they replied...
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples,“Who do people say the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Matthew 16:13-16 niv

Those closest to Him could only recognise who He really was because they were closest to Him.
It wasn't rocket science then. And it still isn't rocket science now.

In light of all that is happening in the world right now.
With all the wars, famines, moral issues and debates, bombings, abuse, greed - the list is endless!
I have lost track of the numbers of people saying all sorts of things about Jesus who don't actually know Him that well.
They say He does this or that, thinks this and that...based on opinions and sometimes even what they hope He is like.

My challenge to you and me is simple...
We need to know who Jesus is more than ever before!
While things happen around us and beliefs and lives are shaken, the only thing that will get you through is how well you know Him.
Christ is supposed to be the rock, the foundation of our existence.
Not a neighbour or an acquaintance. Not a star or a seasonal celebrity.

Get to know Him - and your world will change...

Something to think about...

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog