Friday, April 27, 2012

Pursuit of Happiness - Part 20

I thought of this one this morning in the shower...


You have to choose.


You probably just thought I meant you have to choose to be happy.
While that has an element of truth, it is not entirely what I was thinking.
And I don't think choosing to be happy has the same power as what choice can have.


What you choose as your foundation in life...
The values you choose to embrace...
What you hold as the most important to you...
What your beliefs are and how they are structured...


...those choices will dictate and influence how happy you will be in life.


What I am talking about above are the foundational elements of who you are and what is important to you.
A brand new iPhone can make you happy for a moment. But there are bigger things by which we judge our happiness over the long term.


Some guy many years ago understood this concept of choice.
He made this bold statement...


"...choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15-16 niv


Joshua made a distinction that was clear.
He declared what choice he had made.
It was the foundation of all he was, would be and could be.


With a choice like that he knew nothing could shake him.
That no matter what the world threw at him, that the bedrock of his life was secure.
And let's face it...security and stability go a long why to helping us feel good.


With a firm foundation your happiness will never be entirely dictated by temporal things.
It will come from a deeper knowledge of who you are and what you are about.


My challenge, no my dream for you, is that you read those words that Joshua spoke...
That they resonate something in your spirit today.
That you from this moment on decide to make Jesus your highest priority. Your very firm foundation!
Please join me. Choose Him with me.


True happiness is found there...


Something to think about...

No comments: