Friday, April 20, 2012

Pursuit of Happiness - Part 18

There was this advert that used to be shown around the world.
It went something like...
Have a Break - Have a KitKat

Catchy little phrase to try and get you to buy some chocolate coated biscuit thing with no real nutritional benefits.
It worked on me I must confess. I bought more than my fair share over the years and took my own little break.

So how does this KitKat thing work into the pursuit of happiness?
The chocolate may give you a quick satisfaction hit and some sort of a happiness boast.
But the main thing for me here is 'the break' part.

If you are like me and pride yourself in working ridiculously hard, then taking a break can sometimes make you feel guilty. It is almost as if that it seems like a waste of your precious time.
Being a slow learner like I am sometimes with some of life's big issues, I am only just realising now that 'the break' is sometimes my best work.

Here are some examples:
When I have spent hours trying to work through some technical issue without much success, why is it that if I walk away and take a break that I get an answer?
When I drive to a neighbouring town from here to do some errands, why is it that I seem to get my best ideas while driving along?
When I have a major change in my weekly routine that involves some down time, why do I feel energised to work again when I get home?

The Break!

To be happy in life you need some breaks.
Some interludes of change or rest or both.

When God made the world he took a break on the 7th day.
Why?
Was He tired or burnt out?
I don't think so.
I think He did it so that He could have time to enjoy what He had just done.

Maybe you aren't that happy at the moment?
Maybe the answer is to schedule a break.
Crack open a KitKat if you have to. I give you permission.
Let a break make you happy.
You'll be better for it.

Something to think about...

No comments: