Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pursuit of Happiness - Part 16

I normally recommend the same few books when people ask me for suggestions on what they should read...
One of them is a book called Weird by Craig Groeschel.
It attracted me in the first place because of its title. I figured it sounded kind of interesting.
In that 'Weird' book it shares some fantastic advice to follow, if you want to follow Jesus.

One of the ideas that has stuck in my mind ever since reading that book was the idea about 'the line'.

Most Christians I have met ask about 'the line'.
"How far can I go until it is wrong?"
"At what point does what I am doing make it some sort of a sin?"

Many today are wanting to get as close to 'the line' as they can because they think that is really living.
They think it is the way to be happy.
They even promote getting close to the line to others and some even call it nice sounding things like grace.

The problem I find with living close to 'the line' is that you never know when you might trip over it.

Take alcohol for example.
Living close to 'the line' means you only ask - "How many drinks until I have drunk too much?"
What about dating?
Living close to 'the line' means you only ask - "How far can we go before we have sex?"
When you flirt around the 'the line' you normally trip over it. We are not as stable as we think we are.
What about flirting in general? - "How much can I flirt before it cause me or others an issue?"
In 1 Corinthians 6:18 Paul simply states to Flee from sexual immorality.
Doesn't sound like going as close as you can to 'the line' in what he suggests.
He is saying to stay away as far as you can. Not as close as you can without getting burnt!

Living happy is not about living on the boundaries.
It is living in the sweat spot of what is right.
Some call it living in the centre of God's will...
That way guilt or worse can't have mastery over you.
And you can be feel happy. Happy with yourself and your choices.

Something to think about...

No comments: