Wednesday, March 10, 2010

distracted

I watched a bunch of people (actually a large bunch) being very focused on their task, their goal, in the weekend.

Over 1100 people were competing in the annual Taupo Ironman, and I was one of the many thousands volunteering to help make the event work for them.

It is an amazing event.
Even more amazing to me actually being there and being involved in my little way.
3.8 km swim.
180 km bike ride.
And to cap it all off...a complete marathon!
That is 42 kms as a bonus…

One thing it made me think of is that you can’t do this event by accident. You can not just getup on that Saturday morning and turn up to the swim start line at 7am and expect to complete the race.
Neither can you finish the race with just being there.
You need to be determined.
You need to be focused.
You have to shut everything else out and not be distracted.

As someone running a different sort of race, there are quite a full parallels for me.
It has reminded me that my race requires the same things…
Turning up is not enough.
I need to be determined.
I need to be focused.

A guy called John, who later in life is nearly boiled to death in a big pot, wrote letters to churches the same as some of the other early disciples.
He finishes one letter not with the usual pleasantries.
But with a curious phrase…
“keep yourselves from idols”

Why?
Because John knew that to make it as a disciple you have to prevent yourself from being distracted.
That if you keep your eyes on where you are heading, then you have a better chance of making it there.

My encouragement to you this week as you run your race of faith in God, is to not be distracted.
If you know that you are distracted or not as focused as you could be...remove whatever distraction you may be facing.

It is worth it! And you will complete your race.
Just like an Ironman...

Something to think about…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice to see othershave the audacity to write and make their thoughts public..Cheers Tom