Wednesday, February 03, 2010

why stay here until we die?

I was looking at some of the twitter feeds I get each day and one stood out.
I thought it was cool and retweeted it to the people who follow my twitters.
Note : Some of you now think I am on drugs and are wondering what I am talking about? Don’t panic. Just using a social networking app called twitter...on the web.

The problem was what they were quoting was right and cool and encouraging...but the Bible reference was wrong.
That forced me to check it out for myself.
Good thing too, as it made me think about it a little more.

Here is what I am referring to….

2 Kings 7:3
Now there were four men with leprosy at the entrance of the city gate. They said to each other, "Why stay here until we die? "

The basic story behind this is that a bunch of guys who were outcastes from society realized one day that sitting around waiting to die wasn’t cool.
In fact it seemed kind of pointless to them.
They decided that ‘living’ for a few moments was better the ‘dying’ over a lifetime.

The city they were from had been under siege for so long by a powerful enemy. They decided to go look at what was happening, fall on the enemies mercy, because that seemed better than doing nothing.
They enter their camp to find the enemy has gone.
They find gold, silver, clothes...all left behind for them to discover and enjoy.

The point I think for us looking at this story today is this…
God doesn’t see our circumstances like we do.
What we see as bad or not cool, isn’t there to restrict us.
What actually restricts us more is our attitude towards life.
Being inflexible.
Being conservative.
Being safe…ultimately can rob of us of what might exist around the corner if we just took a chance. Where we show we have faith in God and not just talk about it.

So what are you waiting for?
Get up and go find what God has for you!

Something to think about…

No comments: