Tuesday, February 23, 2010

what will I wear?

One of the favourite parts of my job is being able to perform wedding ceremonies.
I mean, what isn’t there to like about weddings?
People are happy. We are all curious about how late the bride will be.
Normally there is great tasting food.

But to be honest, there is one thing I feel a bit apprehensive about...what to wear?

Some people want me to wear a suit. Others just a nice shirt and tie.
But I am paranoid about getting it wrong.
I don’t want to look too good and out-shine the groom, and I don’t want to look too scruffy and upset the bride.
Maybe it stems from an experience many years ago where we turned up to a wedding and I was dressed the same as the groom and his party. Same shirt, same waist coat, same dark pants.
It was embarrassing. And people felt the need to tell me again and again how embarrassing it was.

Ultimately I think we all want to fit in.
At weddings we try and dress up...in part to be accepted.
At rugby games people dress up in team jerseys...in part to be accepted.

God on the other hand, accepts us just the way we are.
You don’t have to wear the right church culture clothing for God to accept you.
He is way more interested in you and your heart.
You can meet him just the way you are.
I personally like that...

Something to think about...

No comments: