Monday, April 13, 2009

It is that time of year where people like me state the obvious…

Even though you have probably already guessed it, the season has changed.
It is no longer the balmy months of summer.
No more daylight savings.
No more shorts and jandals for most of us.

But I don’t want to tell you about a simple season change.
Just something that I realised the other day, while thinking about the autumn days that are now arriving.

It is one thing to recognise a season change.
It is another to be prepared for it.

Here I am chopping up the firewood that had just been delivered. Doing my fatherly duty in providing heating
material for the winter time I know is around the corner.
I felt good that I was being prepared.
Knowing I am a step a head of where we have been other winters.
And then I began to think about this in the context of our lives in general.

We have season changes all the time.
We have the being a kid season.
We have the school season.
Then possibly the study or work season.
The finding a mate season.
The keeping a mate season.
The having babies season.
Buying a house season…
And then add to that, that you have different seasons in God. Different spiritual seasons.

The reality is that you can prepare for a season change in life. The Bible even encourages us to think about this.
In Proverbs it talks about creatures that I have publicly declared my hatred for...’ants’.
How we can learn from them...

Proverbs 30:24-25
Four things on earth are small, yet they are extremely wise:
Ants are creatures of little strength, yet they store up their food in the summer;


Proverbs 6:6
Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!

So as you head into this new season…
What season are you personally heading into?
And what can you do to prepare for it?

If you are studying this year?
...you are obviously preparing for your working season.
If you are looking for a mate this year?
...you can be more prepared and come along to our real relationships night this week.
If you are wanting to do more in God?
...you can prepare yourself by building your relationship with him.

Just something to think about…

No comments: