Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I have been reminded even over the last few days that I do care what people think of me...maybe just a little…

Sunday night was a little weird for me and many of you would have seen what I am about to write about, well at least part of it. The part you could see.

As part of our pre service build up I lost the flip a coin challenge.
This meant on that particular night that I would have to be dressed up by a team into what people call an ‘emo’.
So as the service rolled a long a group put their creation together. They did an awesome job in the time they had and now I had to face the world looking as ‘emo’ as I would ever get.
Complete with teased wig hair and lots of makeup.

Now many of you know that I am a pastor.
And being a pastor with makeup on and lots of it, well that is a scary thought even on its own.

I did my best to get into spirit of the occasion.
I acted out the part as best I could.
Acted as ‘emo’ as I could...whatever that means...

And one of the things that struck me was how different people reacted to how I now looked.
At church some people treated me differently, like they were avoiding me...even thinking that I had changed beyond my new temporary appearance.
At denny’s minus the wig and some of the makeup (note to readers—it is hard to get rid of it and no one told me) the looks from other people made me a little uncomfortable.
At the gym the next morning, same thing. Yes I had scrubbed myself crazy but the eye liner wouldn’t come off!There were looks and comments. I could just tell.

People tend to judge us by our outward appearance.
We even do it to ourselves…
With my changed appearance some people obviously thought differently about me on some level.

But God doesn’t judge us by what we look like.
Doesn’t judge us by labels or makeup.
God sees me for who I really am.
He sees me and you in our ‘juicy’ centre.

1 Samuel 16:7 puts it this way...
“The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

I love this about God.
God can do this because he is the one who designed me, built me and invested his life into me.
No matter what I look like on the outside, I am still the same on the inside.

I am still Locky. And you are still the real you.

So maybe this week, try not to worry as much about what others think of you.
Know that God loves you because he can see the real you...beyond whatever packaging you put on.

Something to think about…

No comments: