Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Don't have a favourite Bible Verse

I think I am real guilty of this...
During the course of my life doing all I can I help others follow Jesus, we have regularly asked the question "what is your favourite Bible verse?". Asked people mostly in group settings, to share with the said group, what their personal favourite might be.
Some are ready real fast to answer.
Others have a look of horror clearly on their dials, as though they didn't realise they should have one. And others just say "mine was the same" hiding the fact they have drawn a blank.

Now I am honestly wondering whether it was such a wise move?

Please bear with me as I explain...
And I welcome you replying with your own thoughts anytime!

My reason for this possible conclusion today is based on the concept of "camping" on one verse or passage. The idea of where you base your faith, ministry or outlook on life on a key favourite verse.
We have a natural proclivity to stick with what we know and what makes us feel good. While this can provide comfort at some point, I am not convinced it is conducive to continued growth.
While the verse "for God so loved the world..." (John 3:16) is super cool and important. It is not enough. There is more to learn and grow in my friend.

I am fully convinced that God's Word is as advertised by heaven itself.
It is so real, so alive, so relatable to each of us on a personal level (Hebrews 4:12).
It won't tell you what colour car to buy or what style of sunglasses to purchase, but in regards to anything personal and what is really most important - it has got you more than covered!

Here are some simple examples...

I have heard people in good faith say they only give to God when it makes them happy. Because as God's word says "God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7)
What else does God's word say about giving?
The same chapter talks about not being reluctant, which to me is not always the same as cheerful.
It talks elsewhere about being generous. It talks about sowing seed.

I have heard people say that God loves them just the way they are.
1 John 4:16 explains passionately about how God loves us. It is awesome!
What else does God's word say about God and our relationship to Him?
God disciplines those he loves (Hebrews 12:16)
That He is also a consuming fire (Hebrews 12:29)
Personally I believe firmly that "God loves you just the way you are and also loves you too much to leave you that way".

I also love how the Apostle Paul summarised his life and ministry in one of his amazing letters.
For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God. Acts 20:27 NIV

When I marry this sentiment with what the Word of God says it is, the last thing I want is a mere favourite!
I want all of it.
I want to swim deep in it.
I want to chew it completely over.
I want it to speak to me in any way I need.
I want it to change me more and then some more again.

I want to encourage you most strongly today and especially in this season of time, to maybe consider moving on from a mere favourite one verse to embracing all the Word of God, one piece at a time.
Because when you approach it like this you will not limit God in your life and you will not hamstrung your faith.

So what do you think?
Has this been an issue for you?

No comments: