Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Full Monty Bible

One of the tasks I love the most is helping people understand for themselves what is in the Bible and what it can mean to them. 
I absolutely love it!
It comes from a deep conviction that you need the Full Monty of Scripture to help you best follow Jesus. To get direction. To learn God's voice. To navigate life and faith well.

The Apostle Paul one day had a very pivotal moment with a group of people he cared very much for.
It is recorded that as he was about to board a ship for a place called Assos, that he called all Church leaders from Ephesus and gave them one final speech.

Here are a few lines from that speech to consider with me today...

18...You know how I lived the whole time I was with you...
20You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house. 
24...I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.
27For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God.
Acts 20:18, 20, 24, 27 NIV

Other translations help paint this picture even more clearly...

 I’ve taught you everything I could about God’s eternal plan and I’ve held nothing back.  Acts 20:27 TPT
For I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God. Acts 20:27 ESV

I believe that we each need the whole or full counsel of God.
It will make all the difference to your walk with Christ. It will help you make the very best decisions. Help you discern truth from fiction. Help mature you.
Your theology will not be lopsided sometimes manipulated by popularity or mere ease.

The best platform for this and your personal devotion is via the Scriptures. I can not encourage you enough to read and read and read as often as you can!

Another strategy I use based on that foundation when I want to understand a topic or concept from God's perspective, is to look up every reference to it in Scripture.
Take love or giving or hope or faith, any word and do a word search like this example.
Then take time to read each reference carefully. 
Only then will you have the full counsel of God on that matter.

Go Full Monty on the Bible with me from today and let's each discover the whole counsel of God.

Something to think about...



No comments: