Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Bible Bingo

One day I thought I would do a little experiment.
And when I say one day, I mean a long time ago...
Sitting in front of my Bible I closed my eyes.
I then prepared my expectant heart for God to speak something truly revelatory to me.
With my eyes still firmly fixed shut I began too thumb through the pages, back and forth to make sure it was completely random. Then I when I was ready I lifted my index high, turned it down towards the opens pages of who knows where, and planted it firmly on a spot on a page.
When I opened my eyes I read this...

“Go, marry a promiscuous woman and have children with her, for like an adulterous wife this land is guilty of unfaithfulness to the Lord.”  Hosea 1:2 NIV

WHAT?
At first I was a little freaked out.
But as I began to pray about this little experience my freaking out turned to laughter.
Maybe God was teaching me a lesson and helping me to see this is not how to have Him speak from His Word.

I want you to know today that God can and wants to speak directly to you from the Bible.
Scripture tell us that in its entirety it is spiritual food, God inspired, able to change us supernaturally.

Whenever you see mention of the word 'Word' in the New Testament, interestingly it comes from two different greek words. Logos and Rhema.
My very basic definitions of those words are:
Logos : something stated, said, communicated to inform and instruct in general.
Rhema : an utterance even a command, can be directional and defining, potentially prophetic in nature.

Here are some examples of them in action...
“Therefore everyone who hears these LOGOS of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. Matthew 7:14 NIV

Immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Then Peter remembered the RHEMA Jesus had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times.” And he broke down and wept. Mark 14:72 NIV

It is all God's Word too and for us.
But Rhema is God speaking something to us right now for a very specific reason. It is God's Word going from general to very personal.
So Good!

Can I encourage today to feed everyday on the Logos Word of God?
To read scripture to build yourself up along with growing your understanding.
But while you do that, I also want to encourage you to be ready for the Rhema Word of God?
Where something seems to leap off the pages, capture your imagination, where it looks and feels like God is really highlighting something in particular for you in that moment.
It will be God speaking to you!

Something to think about...

No comments: