Sunday, April 14, 2019

Swear Cuss Beep Beep Beep

When I first decided to follow Jesus I was super careful not to swear anymore.
I remember getting abused by another driver around a week after my conversion and giving them finger, swearing at them, and then being overwhelmed with guilt.
For many years after I don't think I used another 'naughty word'.
I was determined not too.

That was 1991.
This is 2019.
And I am now wondering to my shame if I have lost something?
I have at times struggled with my choice of words.
Even if I didn't say them out loud, I certainly thought them in my head

I read recently that it is ok to swear. To cuss.
To let out your frustrations in a verbal tirade.
An influential preacher was recorded dropping bombs all the way through her recent message.
Others are saying that Jesus probably swore. How you could prove this I have no idea!

So I have been thinking about swearing, cussing and more recently.
Trying to work again what the deal is?
Is God ok with it? Is it simply a cultural cringe thing to just accept.

A few scriptures come to mind...

It’s not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; 
you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth.”
Matthew 15:11 nlt

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:29 niv

Don't use dirty or foolish or filthy words. 
Instead, say how thankful you are.
Ephesians 5:4 cev

I am not trying to tell us whether we should or shouldn't swear.
I am encouraging us to consider what language we are using.
The choose of words we select. The message we convey.
Scripture is clear that words are super important.
They are the deciding factor to whether we are clean or not.

Maybe the Holy Spirit is challenging you, me and the Church to keep an eye on our language because there is power in our words. And why waste that power using words that hurt others and ourselves.

David words in Psalm 19 have some impact on me today...

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14 niv

Something to think about...

If you want to support what I have done and will do in the future, 
you can now do that with Buy Me A Coffee - I love coffee!

2 comments:

Trev said...

Great food for thought Locky and yip we gotta watch what we say.

Trev said...

Great food for thought Locky and yip we gotta watch what we say.