Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Was Jesus a food critic?

Kind of a weird question I know, but I wanted to share something I have been thinking about...

I was in town the other day and wanted to order myself a coffee to enjoy while I worked on a project.
The staff talked me into buying a slice as well, a vary particular slice they knew I liked.
The only issue was that it wasn't quite ready, apparently still in the oven. I was promised it would be ready in 20 minutes. I figured I could wait to get it as fresh as any slice could ever be.

The problem was that after 50 minutes I still had no slice and had to leave to get to my next appointment...
By the time I left I was dying to have that slice. I had built up expectation that was left wanting...

At my next appointment I meet with some friends and it come up in conversation.
I told them about what had happened and they of course wanted to know where it was.
But here is my point...I had made a decision beforehand that I would never tell them where exactly I had been. I wanted to give the place I had been a chance to get it right.

Why?

1. 'Relationship' is more important than being 'Right'.
My relationship with that place comes before many other things. We have been loyal to each over many many years without many issues at all.
While I may have seen some justice in having a whinge to my friends, it still wouldn't have been right to me. Based on the relationship I have I just knew that it would work out eventually...

2. Being 'Right' doesn't give you the right to have a 'Rant'.
So many people are raring to go it seems these days. Looking for the smallest slight to give it all barrels. I still remember a while a go watching a guy having a go at staff over his fish n chips meal and that it was disgusting and demanded a refund. What made it a farce was his plate was empty!!!

I actually have never read that Jesus criticised places he ate or the sinners he hung around.
He also seemed to have a different agenda from the so called 'norm'.
His agenda was based on wanting the best for others, beyond his own needs and wants.
He valued relationship!

We criticise the people whose relationship 
we do not value!

If someone is criticising you, I would hazard a guess that they don't really care that much about you.
If you are doing the same to someone else, the same thing applies.

Maybe the challenge this week is to look at our world as a place to make better, not simply critique?
A world where we fight to keep relationship over being right anytime?

What happened next?
The next day I was back in town and they gave me 2 slices! BOOM!

No comments: