Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Filter

With all the is happening around me, you and the rest of the world, I wonder if we need a filter?

I saw a picture someone posted online saying that if all that is in the news scares you, simply switch off. That got me thinking...
Someone else has been sharing lots of 'end of the world' type messages. That got me thinking more...
I look around me at my world and current circumstances. And that got me thinking some more...

Filters are helpful.
Take making coffee for example? When I use a plunger I simply want the coffee, not all the gritty coffee grounds in my cup. My plunger filters out what I don't need so I can enjoy all that caffeine goodness.
What about my cars oil filter? It helps remove the pollutants that occur over time in my cars oil as it circulates around my engine. Without filtering, this oil that is supposed to protect, would eventually damage my engine.

With life, I think we need the right filters in place to better navigate life.
Without filters we get what we didn't need.
Without filters we get polluted.

Not everything is helpful to us...especially unfiltered in some way.
I also think that hiding in a hole doesn't really help either...

So what filters do I use?

Other people
I value communicating with other people with similar or better values, knowledge and skills.
I use those relationships to filter my own life, my values, knowledge and skills.
The drawback of age is not that your body can let you down, it is the arrogance of time. With age wisdom is supposed accrue. I think wisdom only grows with the right people filter in our lives.
They should help us remove what we don't need and other wisdom pollutants.

Other viewpoints
I am not a fan of 'collective opinionism'. Where decisions on life, the universe and everything comes from a collective approach.
The 'other viewpoints' I am meaning are probably more likely from an eternal source.
I filter most of my views as I best I can through Jesus. Talking with Him and meditating on His responses. I filter my views through as much of scripture as I can find. I filter my views through a selected bunch of teachers in my life (not everyone who teaches knows what they are talking about!).

Can I encourage to apply godly filters to your life?
Let God help you grow in discernment.
Let Him increase your wisdom as you humbly work with Him.
I think it will help.

Something to think about...

No comments: