Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Shake It Off - 'the dust'

I was reading recently about some people when the Gospel was 'new', doing something I can't say I have seen that much at the moment.
The Apostle Paul went to some people to tell them about what God was doing, what God was offering etc. They didn't like the sound of what he was saying so he said things like "well may your blood be on your own heads".
Kind of strong don't you think?

It got me thinking especially in line with a series I have been teaching called Shake It Off.
Didn't Jesus tell the disciples to shake something as well?

One day Jesus decides to send his disciples out on a ministry trip.
And as part of the preparation He gives them a peep talk.
Gives them some advice and instruction. All before they hit the road and the adventure that lay before them.

Here is part of that talk...

Matthew 10:13-15 niv
13If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. 15Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

Again it seems pretty strong...but if it is a reoccurring theme in scripture, and if Jesus says it, then maybe I should be taking some more notice?
Is this something I should be practicing?
And if it is, when do I do it?
And how do I reconcile it with this 'love' quotant that we are told to have?

I am really challenged by this concept to be honest!
Partly because I want to share God's goodness with as many people as possible.
Sometimes when it is hard I see it as a challenge, so I try even more.

Maybe I need to just be a little more careful or sensitive to the situation?
Maybe I need to learn when I should just shake the dust off my feet?
Maybe it would be better for me and all concerned if I acted as wisely as possible with people? That if they are rejecting my message, or sound teaching, or correction...that I be happy with that and move on...
I am reminding myself that God is ultimately in control anyway. It is Him who saves, Him who moves hearts, Him who blesses, Him who heals ultimately anyway...

My prayer as we come to a close of this Shake It Off series is that we truly learn from God what each of us need to shake off.
Whether it be the cloaks, or the grave clothes, or the yokes, or the pressure...may we each find some freedom again as we close this year?

Let's be free. Let's shake some dust from our feet!

Something to think about... 

No comments: