Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Prawn


The very first time I went to hunt for shawn the prawn at Huka Prawn Park I was pretty disappointed.
No matter what did. No matter how much I copied the others who were being successful around me…
I didn’t catch a thing!

Over a year later I went back again.
This time with a whole bunch of guys from our Church.
I got some nibbles which got me excited.
I thought I was going to get some breakthrough and break my draught.
I could even picture myself telling the story of my fishing exploits even before I had that first nibble.
But all the dreaming achieved nothing.
No prawns!

Roll on to January this year and I went again.
This time with a good friend from out of town.
My confidence my not have been high but I was willing to give it another try. And that try was worth it.
I caught a decent bunch of prawns.
Enough so that they were gratefully consumed, BBQed with lashings of butter and garlic that same day!

My point is this...
If you are going to do something for God, there is no guarantee it will ‘work’ the first time.
If will work when it will work.
God just wants us to try. And by trying we give Him opportunity to work and to glorify Himself.
Not doing something achieves that result...nothing.

When you see Peter not sure what to do with his life, what do you see him doing?
He is fishing.
He does what he can do until Jesus turns up and changes things again. Jesus fills his net. Jesus blesses his labour. Jesus changes his life!

It is not in the sitting around and hoping that things will change that a harvest comes.
It is in the faithful working away, being faithful to the task even when it appears in the natural nothing much has happened.
Because just when you are not expecting it...Jesus seems to do something amazing and change all the
circumstance around.

Don’t give up!
Keep on reaching and sowing and fishing.
Because in doing so we will be ready to reap a harvest when the full harvest time comes.

Something to think about…

No comments: