Thursday, August 23, 2012

ZX81


This simple thought is going to expose my age…

The very first computer I was able to use was a Sinclair ZX81

I was excited about the opportunity when it came up, because I had been reading about the idea of a personal computing device for some time.

As I sat at this thing I wondered what to do with it?
The only thing that came to mind as a kid was to ask it questions and see if it knew the answers.
I guess I wanted to see how smart computers really were?
I stupidly and clumsily typed “do elephants have trunks?” thinking it would be good to start with something simple.
And to my horror, after I hit the enter key...nothing happened! It didn’t have a response because it was missing something that comes before...and that thing was input.

Without input you have nothing to give.
Just like an old ZX81, if you haven’t had it entered into you, you generally can’t pass it on. You can’t repeat
something, you can’t respond even in a way you might like to.

For the last couple of days I have been giving myself plenty of input.
I drove to Auckland listening to podcasts and worship all the way.
I attended a conference with great speakers sharing on all sorts of things relating to the Kingdom of God.
We even had really cools times of worship where we really spent time in the presence of God.
Then to cap it all off I drove home last night repeating what I did on the way...listening to more podcasts.

What did all this do?
Well among many things, it made me feel like I had something to give. I didn’t feel empty, in fact I felt full!

Maybe if you are feeling a little empty, all you need is a bit more input.
There are plenty of places to get it, you just need to go get it. Make the effort. Be intentional.
Can I encourage you to live your life with an eye on your spiritual fuel tank?
Yes it will go up and down...that is ok.
But don’t let it get to empty.
Get some great input!

Something to think about…

No comments: